Commodore (OF-6) Themistoklis Papadimitriou Hellenic Navy NMIOTC Commandant
Commodore Themistoklis Papadimitriou H.N. was born in Volos, Greece in 1968 and is a 1989 graduate of the Hellenic Naval Academy.
After his graduation he served in all range of positions at sea and ashore operational assignments in several Gunboats, Frigates and Destroyers, the Hellenic Gunboat Command, the Hellenic Frigate Command, the Hellenic Fleet HQ, and the Hellenic Navy General Staff (HNGS).
His Command tour includes the Gunboat HS KARTERIA, the Frigate HS KOUNTOURIOTIS and the HELLENIC FRIGATES SQUADRON ONE.
Commodore Papadimitriou has also served as Chief Of Staff of EUNAVFOR conducting Counter piracy Operations (Operation ATALANTA) in the Indian Ocean, as Department Head of Future Operations/Operational Training in Hellenic Fleet Command, as Department Head of Maritime Operations in CJOS CoE Norfolk, VA, USA, focused on Interoperability among NATO and US Navy Units, as Director of Maritime Operations Center (MOC) in Hellenic Navy General Staff, as Chief Of Staff of EUNAVFORMED conducting Maritime Interdiction Operations in Mediterranean Sea (Operation IRINI) and recently as Chief of Staff at NMIOTC since 2021.
He has attended a number of military schools and courses, among which the Hellenic Navy Staff Officer’s Course, the US Naval Staff College, the Hellenic Supreme Joint War College and the National Defense College.
He has been honored with all respective national and international medals and decorations.
Commodore Papadimitriou holds a Bachelor Degree in Merchant Shipping and Transportation Management, a Masters Degree in Business Administration and a Masters Degree in Applied Strategy and International Security and speaks English.
Captain (OF-5) TUR (N) Aykut KARASU
DCOM of NMIOTC
– Captain (OF-5) TUR (N) Aykut KARASU was born in January 1973, attended the Turkish Naval High School in 1991 and graduated from the Turkish Naval Academy in 1995.
– As a surface warfare officer, during his maritime missions from 1995 to 1999, Captain KARASU assumed Navigation and Operations Officer and Executive Officer (XO) on Navy and Coast Guard ships. He was initially appointed as Commanding Officer (CO) on an Amphibious Ship (LCT) C138 in 2000. Then he was assigned as CO on Petrol Boat (PO), Coast Guard and auxiliary ships and he was the Coast Guard Group Commander until 2013.
– Between 2013 – 2020 he was commissioned as Base Defense Operation Center and Social Service Support Commander.
– On August 1st, 2020, he assumed the position of Deputy Commandant (DCOM) of the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre (NMIOTC), and was appointed as the Senior National Representative (SNR).
– He holds a PG Master Degree in Business, 8 ribbon badges, attended Command and Staff Education Course at the Turkish Naval War College in 2012.
Captain (OF-5) Efstathios (Stathis) KYRIAKIDIS Hellenic Navy, NMIOTC Chief of Staff.
Captain Stathis Kyriakidis H.N. was born in Serres, Greece in 1967 and he is a 1990 graduate of the Hellenic Naval Academy.
He served on board surface units of the Hellenic Fleet, and participated in the Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield in the Gulf (1990-91). Captain Kyriakidis was member of the commissioning crew of HS KIMON (ex USS SEMMES) and he commanded the gunboat HS KRATEOS (as her first Commanding Officer), and the frigate HS ELLI.
He graduated, with distinction, from both the Hellenic Joint Supreme War College and the Hellenic Defence College. Among other Staff assignments, he has served as Advisor to the Chief of Hellenic National Defence, as Head of the Plans and Policy Directorate at the Hellenic Navy and as the POLAD to the Chief of the Hellenic Navy.
His assignments abroad include a tour to NATO SHAPE, as Action Officer responsible for NATO Major Joint exercises (J7) and as Subject Matter Expert for the NATO Response Force (NRF). He was member of the SHAPE team established to confront the Russian annexation of Crimea. Moreover, he served in the European Union Military Staff (EUMS), as the Head of Division Operations Coordination and the Dep Director of the EU Maritime Area of Interest Coordination Cell (MAICC).
He holds a M.Sc. in Applied Physics from Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA USA (1996-1998), specialized in wireless networks (dual degree with the Dept of Computer Science) and a Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in European Security, from the University of Geneva (2008). He has published several studies and articles in Greek Defence related press. He speaks fluently English and French and – at a lower level – Spanish and Arabic.
Captain Stathis Kyriakidis is married to Vicky Deligianni and they have twins, Loukia and Dimitrios.