Commodore Panagiotis Papanikolaou GRC (N) NMIOTC Commandant
Commodore Panagiotis Papanikolaou was born in Athens in 1965 and joined the Hellenic Naval Academy in 1983. After his graduation in 1987, he has served in a broad range of sea assignments, deployments to Mediterranean Sea, and Indian Ocean and he assumed Commanding Officer’s duties of HS DOXA (P 63) and HS HYDRA (F 452).
At shore assignments he has served as Director of Naval Operations of the Hellenic Frigates and Destroyers Command, Director of Hellenic Fleet’s Operational Planning Branch, Director of Chief’s in Command of Hellenic Fleet Office, Director Hellenic Fleet’s Operations Centre, Director of Operations Division of Hellenic Navy’s Surveillance Command and lately as Deputy Director of the Joint Operations Centre of HNDGS.
Commodore Papanikolaou has also served as Maritime Operations Branch Head of NATO Maritime Command Naples and as Naval Attaché of Greece in the USA.
He has attended a number of military schools and courses among which the Hellenic Navy Staff Officers’ Course and Hellenic Armed Forces Supreme Joint War College. He also attended US Navy’s Electronic Warfare Officer Course, Air Intercept Controller course and Surface Warfare Officer Course.
He has been promoted to Commodore in March 2019 and assumed NMIOTC’s Commandant duties on the 6th of April 2020.
Commodore Papanikolaou has been awarded appropriate national as well as NATO, EU and USA medals and decorations.
He is married to Niki Terzi and they have two daughters.
Captain (OF-5) TUR (N) Aykut KARASU
DCOM of NMIOTC
– Captain (OF-5) TUR (N) Aykut KARASU was born in January 1973, attended the Turkish Naval High School in 1991 and graduated from the Turkish Naval Academy in 1995.
– As a surface warfare officer, during his maritime missions from 1995 to 1999, Captain KARASU assumed Navigation and Operations Officer and Executive Officer (XO) on Navy and Coast Guard ships. He was initially appointed as Commanding Officer (CO) on an Amphibious Ship (LCT) C138 in 2000. Then he was assigned as CO on Petrol Boat (PO), Coast Guard and auxiliary ships and he was the Coast Guard Group Commander until 2013.
– Between 2013 – 2020 he was commissioned as Base Defense Operation Center and Social Service Support Commander.
– On August 1st, 2020, he assumed the position of Deputy Commandant (DCOM) of the NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre (NMIOTC), and was appointed as the Senior National Representative (SNR).
– He holds a PG Master Degree in Business, 8 ribbon badges, attended Command and Staff Education Course at the Turkish Naval War College in 2012.
Captain Charalampos Thymis H.N.
COS of NMIOTC
– Captain Charalampos Thymis H.N. was born in Loutraki, Greece on June 23rd 1966. He graduated the Naval Academy with the rank of Ensign in 1988. In addition to staff courses, he attended the Hellenic Supreme Joined War College and the National Defense College.
– During his career he has been appointed as PWO and Operations Officer, Executive Officer and Commanding Officer.
– He also served as Head of Joint Ops Department at HNDGS (2013-2015) and as Director of Ops Directorate of HNGS (2015-2016).
– He was appointed at UNIFIL MAROPS HQ as a staff officer from 2006-2007 and at Embassy of Greece in Spain as Defense Attaché from 2016 till 2018.
– He speaks English and Spanish and he holds “Diploma in Negotiations” from Athens University of Economics & Business.